The National Archives was pleased to have participated in the planting of fifty trees in the Queen's Park Savannah on 19 August 2017. The activity was part of the Citizens for Conservation's 200th anniversary commemoration of the sale of the Queen's Park Savannah by the Peschier family to the then Governor Ralph Woodford on behalf of the Colonial Government. The expressed purpose then was for the Queen's Park Savannah to be used "as a Park and place of exercise and recreation for the public," a use that is still maintained today.
In 1816, Sir Ralph Woodford, then Governor, announced to the Cabildo that a proposal had been made to him by the heirs of Mme Peschier, to purchase their St. Ann's Estate. It was decided to make an offer of £6,000 … but that the mode of payment be varied by making yearly payments of the instalments one-third of the total price, thus £2,000 were to be paid on execution of the deed of conveyance, £2,000 to be paid one year after date, and £2,000 to be paid at the end of the following year without interest. The Cabildo accepted these terms. The deed of conveyance No. 1219 of 1817 was executed on the 18th August, 1817, and the property was to be handed over to the Illustrious Cabildo on the following day. The heirs of Mme Peschier reserved from this sale "The Mill Rollers etc... and a piece of ground in which the ancestors of the said family Peschier are interred..."
For many years the Queen's Park was not heard of, and the only use to which it was devoted was the pasturage of cattle of the residents of Port of Spain. In 1854 the Grand Stand was erected and horse-races were held annually. Besides being a pasture and an open playground for local as well as intercolonial cricket, the Savannah provided the residents with their first golf course. The last cricket match was played at the Savannah in 1896, when the Club moved to the Oval. Since the Town Hall fire in 1948, when the Prince's Building became the temporary Town Hall, the Parade of Bands has been held at the Grand Stand of the Queen's Park Savannah until the present.
Click on images to view gallery